Categories
Contextual Research

Contextual diary 2

Moving onto my next slot of hybrid practitioners, who has influenced me of their recent techniques used to reflect on my original search in various genres like they are shown into stories and even from legends that are adapted to humanoid-arts.

Different genres of Hybrid movement:

• Fantasy
  • Folklore-tales
  • Original animals in Greek and Egyptian Mythology

Reading on Kate Clark’s work on experimental models of transfusing a human face to a animal bodies, they meant to acknowledged to her primary theme of natural instincts which are also used for contemporary art and these can be absorb into my personally of face carving textures of humanoid skin patterns to have an impact with my related references of Na’vi people/Avatar.

Kate Clark Artist Lecture - 21c Durham
Kate Clark
Kate Clark
Kate Clark | Ellen Miller Gallery

Viewing on Clark’s work in transfusion of human faces to animal bodies, they really share to my inspiration of becoming a animal but some people might had fearphobia about this reaction and she showcased her models in her exhibitions.

Clark’s Exhibitions:

• Solo show: Claire Oliver Gallery in New York (2008)
  • Group show: Aldrich Museum of contemporary art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuiX00aBf_U

Clark’s website: https://www.kateclark.com/artist-statement

Next up is Damien Hirst who was one of the young British artists to had achieve his way of manipulating on unnatural effects used in UK arts during the 1990s and is also an collector of interviewing with most of his models have an increased costs from his buyers.

His key elements are based on death which are kind of harsh, but its his direct way of being famous of a series of animal models incased in glassed boxes. At Hirst’s influence onto a reflected technique in “Spin Paintings”, which he created on a spinning circular surface and uses “Spot Painting” in random coloured circles.

Animal models incased in glass boxes:

• Shark
  • Sheep
  • Cowl

Viewed at Hirst’s Exhibition: UCCA Center for Contemporary art

HD wallpaper: Shark, formalin, Damien Hirst, The physical impossibility of  death in soznanii living | Wallpaper Flare
Damien Hirst's Latest Paintings of Cherry Blossoms at Fondation Cartier |  Widewalls
Damien Hirst - Interview Magazine

Hirst’s website: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/damien-hirst-2308

Looking at Walton Ford who is a American artist had been researching into monumental watercolors that is blended with editioned prints, as his technique are primary used on historical arts which is how both animals and hybrid creatures are treated as equals amongst intersection of human culture/natural-world.

Seeing Ford’s technique on large-scale paintings mainly to use his influence of illustration effects onto animals or hybrids, because it would seem his creatures are in a condition of their jungle or forest homes been destroyed by humans followed by forcing against an animal’s will of enslavement and what could impact into my environmental state for my humanoid inspiration.

Ford’s website: https://www.kasmingallery.com/artist/walton-ford

Walton Ford | Gagosian
Walton Ford's New Show Opens at Paul Kasmin Gallery | Vogue
Endangered Animal? Assessing the Light Sensitivity of Walton Ford's “Oso  Dorado” | Inside the MFAH | The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Artist Walton Ford on His Wildlife Paintings - WSJ

By p2534372

I have always been interested in various forms of art, even from a young age. I developed my interest early on through sculpting with Blu Tack when I was eleven years old and would model figurines from films and TV programs. I had a specific interest in modelling the army of soldiers from the Lord of the Rings using Blu Tack and toothpicks for the armory and weapons. And from the film Avatar, creating Na'vi people using toothpick to create the texture and ripple effect bodies and tones.

It was in my second year at college when I decided to switch from IT & Media to Art & Design, leaving South Leicestershire College to start the B-Tech Enhanced Diploma at North Warwickshire and Hinckley College. I was granted to enter at Level 2 and worked hard to achieve two distinctions in my first year. The switch was the best decision I had made that year and it set my focus to select Fine Art at university. The only university I selected and wanted to study at was DMU, a dream come true!