Categories
2223-501 MA Research-Skills

Article 1: The Animal Sculptor of Paris

Starting on my new module of MA’s Research Skills, was to study on four selective articles of what I’ve learned throughout the academic methods of planning my contemporary art into animal presences.

Firstly is “The Animal Sculptors of Paris” I’ve looked into its art magazine from the library archives:

• Author: Mario-Amaya
  • Publication-Title: Apollo (London. 1925)
  • Volume: 76
  • Issue: 9
  • Language: English
  • Publisher: Apollo, etc
  • Date: 11/1962
  • Source: Art and Architecture-Archive Collection 1
  • Start-Page: 710
  • ISSN: 0003-6536
  • EISSN: 2059-5247

Learned on what its despites from fine traditional methods into practical sculpture next to animal patterning through mix-media painting, in the nineteenth century Victorian-practitioners would explain about their influence of what they’ve developed over the course of animal-modelling, or this technique is referred as animaliers. From sketching blueprints of how animal poses would be shown in real-life to building them with technical form of metal casting in French bronze textures and in my case of clay manipulation.

Felt by any French artists whom to had experimented on their small figurines, alongside most of large-scale versions that are published as public arts. A rare feeling of why we neglected some of well talented individuals that are currently used to make an animalier’s exhibition at “Mallet at Bourdon-House” (Davies Street)

Includes French Practitioners:

• Antoine-Louis Barye
  • Pierre-Jules Mêne
  • Christopher Fratin
  • Jules Moigniez
  • Emmanuel Frémiet
  • Isidore Bonheur
  • Auguste Cain
  • Paul-Edouard Delabrierre

By recognising an artist’s opinion to subpress our weaknesses of overworking with stress only to let our emotions run wild, but in Barye’s inspiration of course far more advanced in his journey since education and been mentioned as one of greatest French-Animaliers able to produce multiple collections of table-sized bronzes which sold in equal quantities from both English and American collectors.

In several years at the aftermath of “appareil reducteur”, these wonderful carvings of Antoine Louis Barye’s sculptures that captured in the public eyes of imaginations in its strikingly bold simplifications of what I really admired with most exotic-beasts (fig 1). Invested into extensive sense of practitioners’ dynamic tension/fierce strengths that I’d used my talents in handmade techniques enabling to reflect from the late Renaissance statures.

• Lions, Tigers and Leopards whether devouring prey, striding majestically or just to stood silently with mobility
  • All had an inbred heroic grandeur that allows to make them expressly romantic
  • Barye’s work has always been closely associated in the beginnings of Romantic’ movement in France

Alongside the research methods of Brascassat-Alfred de Dreux and Delacroix, also lifelong-friend who once turned to him for advice while approved to considered taking up sculpture. Written in his journals (1857) of what Barye would describe his lions were approached to classical influences by sculptors and painted a lion strikingly with a similar personality to his friend’s Lion and Serpent after it was modelled thirty years ago.

At despite connections with other Romantics such as Daumier, Courbet, Decamps and Theodore Rousseau, who all met up at Sculptor’s studio (1847) to sign a protest against the Salon. What drives the artwork of Bayre is what I should use in my carving advantages from his romantic realism had almost reached in Greek stylisation, which brings me to Bayre’s power equal into Balzac theories and perhaps he’d be thinking of a writer’s short story “Une Passion Dans le Desert” which was first appeared in (1832).

By fascinating each piece of fiction that meant to carried out a description of a she-panther magnificently heroic and graceful as one of many of Bayre’s bronze manufacturing in French-Sculptural arts.

Page 710: (fig 1) ‘Running Elephant by Antoine Louis Barye (1795-1875), described by him as Elephant du Senegal. Plaster original is in the Louvre, and a bronze version is currently on exhibition at Mallet at Bourdon House. Height, 13.3cm

Antoine-Louis Barye’s Lion vs Serpent (1832), measurement: 1.35 by 1.78 by 0.96 metres

• Originally crafted in plaster and exhibited at Louvre-Museum
  • Barye’s period of Romanticism and subject of Wildlife

Louvre-Museum website: https://www.louvre.fr/en

Antoine-Louis Barye | Lion and Serpent (Lion au Serpent) | French | The  Metropolitan Museum of Art

By p2534372

I have always been interested in various forms of art, even from a young age. I developed my interest early on through sculpting with Blu Tack when I was eleven years old and would model figurines from films and TV programs. I had a specific interest in modelling the army of soldiers from the Lord of the Rings using Blu Tack and toothpicks for the armory and weapons. And from the film Avatar, creating Na'vi people using toothpick to create the texture and ripple effect bodies and tones.

It was in my second year at college when I decided to switch from IT & Media to Art & Design, leaving South Leicestershire College to start the B-Tech Enhanced Diploma at North Warwickshire and Hinckley College. I was granted to enter at Level 2 and worked hard to achieve two distinctions in my first year. The switch was the best decision I had made that year and it set my focus to select Fine Art at university. The only university I selected and wanted to study at was DMU, a dream come true!