Categories
Year 2: Sculpture

Sculpture 2020/21

Arriving at Vijay Patel-Arts tower to begin year 2 studies in sculpture, I would prep up my new studio on floor 8 whilst been given a brief to organize on my selected object in 20th-21st centuries and to describe my means of being an sculptor and how its taken a place in the world.

Project in Sculpture: “Making a Thing”

Items list in Thing project:

Ready-made objects:

• Shoes or Trainers
  • My DMU bag
  • Fruit Bowl

Environmental objects:

• Tombstones at church
  • Flower pots
  • Old benches   

It can be difficult but I’ve decided to choose my beloved shoe as my primary item, because I wear them into the outside world and to organize them at home to sketch my blueprints.

Primary object: shoes

Investigating onto my shoes is the first step, is how to build my early works while I was sketching up my creative ways of colour decorating and to help organize which methods to experiment with.

Blueprints:

Sorting my foam materials to build my prototypes, is trimming off rough areas to make both of my design look nicely crafted and manipulate with mod-roc to show a skeleton appearance seemed pale but I can adapt to its cultural theme.

Next is using fabric arts to experiment with coloured tissues onto my festival shoe, which orange petals are telling me a reflected theme in Disney’s Coco and to combine both old-fashioned/humorist effect.

Prototype shoe:

Festival shoe:

After my prototypes I can organize my large set of reused-foam to mark, sand-off and positioned my toothpicks to put all of my pieces together in a whole stronger model without breaking.

Finalized-diagram:

Once I’d used mod-roc, I can start painting my cartoon patterns all around my design like decorating its pale texture into wonderful festive feeling of laughter and blended with spooky arts like live-action movements.

Mexican Trainers:

Second project: “Making A Space”

Reading my next brief to examining an empty space, because by calling out sound-waves/echoes when answering someone from the horizon and I can use it to my advantage of experimenting on telephones.

These are my new diagrams of building my early prototype, to help me prep up my final model with most of Simpsons pattern arts whilst I’m painting them.

Prototype-phone:

Finalized-phone:

Simpsons-Telephone:

Once my telephone models are completed, I must mount them on the studio’s wall for open space like my shoe models within the exhibition and to describe on their clashes of different cultures alongside my experimentation of 3D abstract colouring.

Since my completion of festive shoes/telephone designs, I took a different approach in foam manipulation were my early theme of hybrids because some of the animals are currently in the present and others in folklore-tales to my reaction of their origins in mythology arts. Which I had worked on their diagrams over term 2’s January and February via pencil-drawing, to help with my continuation in Sculpture is to absorb my humanoid/monster textures to experiment unused items as foam materials, to act as my models main bodies all in six designs in many doodle patterns to reflect from my blueprint drawings to build at large scale as if being amazed and frightened from monster-verse themes.

By p2534372

I have always been interested in various forms of art, even from a young age. I developed my interest early on through sculpting with Blu Tack when I was eleven years old and would model figurines from films and TV programs. I had a specific interest in modelling the army of soldiers from the Lord of the Rings using Blu Tack and toothpicks for the armory and weapons. And from the film Avatar, creating Na'vi people using toothpick to create the texture and ripple effect bodies and tones.

It was in my second year at college when I decided to switch from IT & Media to Art & Design, leaving South Leicestershire College to start the B-Tech Enhanced Diploma at North Warwickshire and Hinckley College. I was granted to enter at Level 2 and worked hard to achieve two distinctions in my first year. The switch was the best decision I had made that year and it set my focus to select Fine Art at university. The only university I selected and wanted to study at was DMU, a dream come true!